Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Better than the Box Mac-n-Cheese

So, you know how kids always like stovetop box mac-n-cheese better than the wonderful, hearty, feels-like-a-casserole baked kind. Well, mine sometimes like that, too, and my friend Renee has a fabulous recipe for it. But sometimes they (and let's face it, we) crave the smooth silky stovetop variety. SO. Alton Brown to the rescue! I copied this recipe from him--scribbled it on a magazine page, as a matter of fact, as he was giving it on Good Eats. It's great!


Alton Brown's Stove-top Mac-n-Cheese

First, cook
  • 2 C elbow (AB says it MUST be elbow) macaroni in salted water
While it's cooking, whisk together:
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 oz. evaporated milk
  • 3/4 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (I do skip this for my kiddos, although I add it back in for me)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • pinch pepper
When pasta is cooked, drain and return to pot. Add these in this order:
  • 4 Tbs. butter (melt it in)
  • mixture from above
  • 10 oz. shredded cheese (I tried half cheddar, half Gruyère last week--not a hit with Miss Three!)
Eat right away!

I half the recipe (halve?). It works just fine.

PS We just watched an episode of Good Eats called "The Ballad of Salty and Sweet." We're making this soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment